It is common knowledge that I enjoy eating. I particularly enjoy eating dishes that I have made myself. So, I will use this space to share with you some of my favourite things that I have made.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Works in progress

I have been cooking, I'm just in the process of perfecting some recipes. I am on two missions right now: pizza dough and meatloaf.

Coming from a Chinese-Canadian family we never really made either of these at home when I was a child. Pizza was always something that was ordered in when we were too lazy to cook. And meatloaf, which seems like a staple in most families, was never made either. My father recently told me a heart-warming story about how he refused to eat a meatloaf that my mother had made for him when they first were married. She cried, and we never had meatloaf.

I have come to at least two conclusions. Kneading pizza dough - good. Kneading raw ground meat - yuck.

Tonight, I will make a ham, zucchini, mushroom and onion quiche. Quiche is much more complicated and time-consuming than the recipes I have previously described. However, if there is demand, I will supply it...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jadine said...

The meatloaf is still an ongoing experiment. So far I have tried two recipes: "Moist" and "Fluffy". The moist one is definitely winning the race at this point. Although it has a slightly longer cooking time, it actually had flavour. "Fluffy" needed ketchup and hot sauce to be edible.

10:06 a.m.

 
Blogger Jadine said...

I'm posting this on behalf of Karen, as she was having difficulties with the new security features of my blog. (Nice to see that it's keeping out the riff raff!)

"I'm not sure that your story is heartwarming...more like heartbreaking...but anyway...we don't have meatloaf in the UK (or if we do, they don't eat it around where I live), so when I went to Australia and saw meatloaf on the dorm menu I was so excited...even the other students complaining about Meatloaf Wednesday couldn't put me off...but I'll tell you...I only ever went once on Meatloaf Wednesday...every week after that I was down the road having chicken takeout with the rest of them. Alas, however heartbreaking, you have to admit: your Dad knew a bad thing when he saw it."

4:18 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home