It is common knowledge that I enjoy eating. I particularly enjoy eating dishes that I have made myself. So, I will use this space to share with you some of my favourite things that I have made.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Bread under garlic

I would call this garlic bread, but it seems like the ratio supports the former terminology more accurately. I made this garlic bread at Christmas for my family and it was a big hit. I'm hoping that it will earn me a nickname. (Suggestion: Garlic Bread Girl?)

For every loaf of french bread, you will probably need about 3 tablespoons of softened butter and 3 cloves of garlic.

First you will need to make a paste with your garlic. This is quite simple once you get the hang of the technique. Mince the garlic then sprinkle with salt. The salt helps grind the garlic to make it into the paste. Next, move your cutting board to the edge of your counter and secure with a moist paper towel so the board doesn't shift around on you. Then, using a french knife, drag the blade of the knife at a 5 degree angle across the garlic pressing down and towards you as you go. Lift up the handle and repeat. Essentially you are squeezing the juices out of the garlic. Repeat as necessary until you have a nice smooth garlic paste.

Make the garlic butter by mixing the garlic paste with your softened butter, some herbs and spices (e.g. thyme, parsley, etc).

Cut your french loaf lengthwise and slash the top with a knife to open up some pores for the butter to sink into. Apply garlic butter liberally to the faces of the loaf. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and the bread is toasty.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jadine said...

Garlic is an anti-oxidant. Do not be afraid of its powers!

12:28 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home